My phone got hung in the boot screen today morning. I tried to find out solutions, but most of the solutions on net was not working for my phone. So I got in touch with a global Motorola customer support agent. He tried to fix the phone for over 45 minutes remotely, but nothing worked. Having done that he transferred the ticket to a customer support agent in India. The difference was huge and the contrast was unbelievable. The Indian support guy started with the same first question as the global guy - Have you tried the hard reboot option?. I said yes and before I could explain him what else I have tried and what we found out he said - It would be better to show it at an authorized center. Wo Hero! That was fast. you did not even try to check the issue!
Further I did spend some time in multiple web pages and checked random steps and I found out the root cause. Unfortunate for me, I would have to visit a service centre since my phone boot log is not recognizing the boot up folder or cache. Maybe there is a way for them to rewrite the boot logs. If my phone has to restore the factory settings, all my data is gone :(
For people who are facing similar issues, I am writing preliminary tests that you can do before you each out to a customer center. It might same some time.
Problem: The device gets hung at boot screen where you see the Motorola icon followed by "powered by Android". The device does not get booted up.
(1) Hard reboot - Press and hold power button for 120 seconds.
if this does not resolve the issue, go to (2)
(2) With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.
(3) The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS
(4) Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Normal boot up (option 1) and VOL UP Key to select
if this does not resolve the issue, go to (2), (3) and then (5)
(5) Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select
Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited to long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again.
(6) The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark)
(7) Press and hold the POWER key and press the VOL UP key once.
(8) The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE)
(9) Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to wipe cache partition and the POWER Key to select this option
(10) The device will then perform the partition wipe
(11) The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence
if this does not resolve the issue, its bettwer to visit an authorised service centre (if no data has to be saved, you may choose to try reset to factory settings before visiting the service centre)
Authorised centres in Bangalore:
B2X KORMANAGLA BANGLORE # 20 1ST FLOOR, 7TH MAIN ,80 FEET ROAD, above Voda phone 1ST BLOCK KORMANGALA Bangalore -560034 above Voda phone 560034 Bhagyalakshmi.R 8792426727
B2X MALLESHWARAM BANGLORE 15/8 , 1st temple street road ,malleshwaram , bangalore : 560003 ( opp to asha sweets food camp ) Behind Vinayak Hospital 560003 Manjunath 9066644931